HOME ABOUT FAQ SHOP CONTACT HOME

Things I Would Have Told My Younger Self...

I am not going to sit here and pretend to have all the answers, to all the questions - because I sure as hell do not! However the last ten years I have learnt SUCH a lot about myself, and think I have learnt some tips along the way. So here are some little tip bits of advice which could make your life that little easier!


Save your money: 
My mum was ALWAYS telling me to save my money. Did I listen? no. The problem is the older you get and the more you have to lose, you can lose. What if your car suddenly goes wrong? you lose your job? your partner leaves you? Etc. I can also assure you if you are living from wage packet to wage packet? Then everything that can go wrong, will. It took me a long time to start saving money, but  now I can't imagine not. The younger you start to do this, the better! 


Don’t fuck up your credit: 
So whilst we are on this point, seriously don't do this! I did this A LOT. Credit cards are great it's like oh yea free money - well it seems like that at the time. Credit cards are great, and they are awesome for emergencies, but don't allow yourself to get maxed out credit cards, no job, and debt collectors calling.  If you use them, then pay them off, in full, each month. It can also cause SO many problems down the line, from getting a contract phone, to getting a mortgage so honestly stay in that night, and pay your bill and you will thank me in the long run. 


Live alone:
When I first moved in by myself, I cried A LOT. I felt alone and horrible.
Ultimately living alone will at some points make you feel lonely, but there is nothing better than coming home to your own space, your own mess, and to being able to shut the door on life when it starts to feel like too much. Of course having a roommate can be both great and terrible but living alone allows you to surround yourself with people when you want them and shut your self in when you don’t. If you can afford it I highly suggest it, even if it’s just for a year. I find it really hard to live with other people now, take the leap! 

 


Be a little promiscuous:
Do it with someone you don’t like, someone you don’t care about, it will make you feel sexy and powerful. I’m not talking all the time but do it at least once. Sometimes it's good to go out and feel powerful and in control, and hey who doesn't love that?


It’s okay to walk away:
Whether it’s family, a friend, a spouse, a boyfriend. Sometimes it just gets to a point where you can’t take it any more, and you don’t have too. Walking away doesn’t make you weak, it means you’re strong enough to recognise a bad situation that wont change and get out of it; sometimes that is the thing that takes the most strength.


Don’t make the dramatic attention-seeking girl your best friend:
Ultimately her desire for drama will negatively impact your life. It’s ok to go out with her every once in a while, but she doesn’t need to know your life or your story. She will drag you in and she will drag you down.


A man will not complete you:
Sure a man is nice to have, it’s nice to share your life with someone, it’s nice to have someone to share your success with, to cook for, to come home to. But the most important part of having a successful relationship is being able to love yourself, complete yourself, and have your own life.


Failure is inevitable and good for you:
Some of the past years of my life have been a giant fail, but honestly, if I hadn’t been through what I had been through I wouldn’t be where I am. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel, failure is not forever and in the end, you will come out of it better then ever. Failure is necessary for success and you will never succeed if you spend your entire life being afraid of failing because then you will never try.


Learn how to forgive: 
No matter how much someone hurts you, it takes way too much energy to stay angry. Forgive, that doesn’t mean you have to forget, it doesn’t mean the hurt they caused will go away, but forgiveness is the first step to healing. Most importantly, forgive yourself; it’s easy to hate yourself for what’s happened but remember that what you did was exactly what you wanted at the time and someday it will be worth it.


Dress up: 
Lastly, do this. Every day, even when you feel like shit, even when you don’t feel like it. Ultimately it will make you feel better. 

What would you tell your younger self?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for popping by! We love reading what you think, and read every comment. Make sure you leave your link so we can check your blog out if you have one! Or come chat on twitter @oxwonderland