HOME ABOUT FAQ SHOP CONTACT HOME

The Inspirationals: Pandora Skyes

(All photos from Pandora's blog)

This 'inspirations' post is probably our number one girl crush. Pandora Sykes is a power house of fashion know how, Sunday Times Style magazine's fashion features editor, and 'Wardrobe Mistress', blogger extraordinaire, (seriously this is one you need on your feed, fashion and everything from Page 3, to Zoella)  and keeping her instagram followers entertained whether it be OOTD's, Fashion Weeks, or Kitten pics. So we are so grateful for her to find the time to answer our questions!

Tell us about what you do.

I am the Fashion Features Editor and Wardrobe Mistress at The Sunday Times Style and founder of pandorasykes.com.

What does an average day at work look like for you?

Tends to involve a breakfast meeting with a PR, a day of writing features and calling in samples for shoots, or doing my column, then a work dinner or drinks or seeing friends or lying on sofa with cat...

Do you primarily work alone or with other people?

Others.

 Serious Style!

Is this what you wanted to do as a child? Did you end up in this job by “accident” or was it a planned career choice?

I always wanted to be a journalist, but I started off in features. I was chivvied into fashion by some wise old souls and whilst I still remain passionate about features (my role comprises both) I definitely am weighted on the fashion side now.

How long ago did you start on this path?

I've been a journalist for 5 years.

How long were you doing it before you made it into your career or primary form of income?

I always interned during school and university, wrote for my university paper but for the first year out of university I was a PA to the incredibly talented screenwriter Christopher Hampton, because I struggled to find a paid internship in journalism. After that, I interned at InStyle, GQ, freelanced for Mail on Sunday's YOU magazine, The Spectator, Company, Cosmopolitan, The Times, ran a fashion-sharing website for The Daily Mail, became fashion editor at The Debrief and now I've been at Style for 6 months now.

 Can we talk about those shoes?

Did anything significant happen to get you to that point, or was it a series of small steps?

Series of small steps. The combination of having a full-time job, blogging and doing pieces of styling or writing for other publications - to make sure I reached a different audience - definitely helped me get the job which had always been the job of my dreams, here at Style.

What kind of education do you have?

I went to boarding school, was pretty academic - always quite nerdy about work - and the studied English Lit and Lang at Leeds university.

Do you think official qualifications are important for someone entering your industry?

I mean, for me yes - I wanted to read a lot and really learn how to write, not from a journalist perspective but an academic perspective. It was actually really valuable. But you can absolutely learn on the job; I believe if you can write, you can write. It's innate and academic education won't transform you from one to the other though you can obviously improve, learn and hone.

 

If you went to school, did you enjoy studying? Could you see where it might lead you at the time? What advice would you give to someone else who might be studying to get into your industry?

Yes, I did enjoy it, loved essays though hated exams. I don't think you have to study English, or even journalism - Lou Stoppard, the very accomplished editor of Show Studio, studied History at Cambridge. Study what you want, but intern and pitch pitch pitch ideas to publications. If you feel you have a unique USP for one, then start a blog too. Doesn't have to be fashion; I alternate between fashion and social commentary.

What do you think is the best thing about what you do?

Access to creativity; getting to attend the fashion shows, or meet/work alongside the writers you've always admired. 


What’s the worst thing?

People are statistically underpaid and overworked in fashion. That's the norm!

 Major Style Crush

Would you call yourself a workaholic, & if so, are you alright with that? Do you think that’s normal for your industry?

Yes, yes and yes!

What would your number one suggestion be for someone who wants to do what you do?

Are you passionate about it? And if so, be the best version of yourself. You can't be anything else.

What do you wish you had known when you first started out?

That you cannot trust everyone. Work hard, be the nicest person you can, but you're not going to like everyone you come across - and vice versa!


Are there any major misconceptions about your job or industry?

That it's not related to 'real women'; that everyone is a bitch; that no-one eats.

Do you ever have any ethical dilemmas with the work you do?

The longer I work as a fashion journalist the more it's made me consider my relationship with consumerism. I shop a lot less now; I give a lot away.

What is the best thing that’s happened to you as a consequence of the work you do?

My parents are proud. That means more than anything.

 What an outfit! 

What motivates you to keep doing what you’re doing?

Guilt! I feel guilty if I am not being productive. But also, I don't know any other way to be, or anything else I could be doing.

Who do you look up to within your industry & why?

So many people. Lou Stoppard, Alex Fury, Lorraine Candy, Alex Shulman, my editors here.

Rate how happy you are with what you do out of 100 (100 being the best, 0 being devastatingly awful) on an average day.

100......

Do you think you’ll continue doing this for the rest of your life?

Within a broad framework, absolutely.
 
We would like to thank Pandora SO much for taking the time out of her VERY busy schedule to answer our questions! Want more follow and find Pandora at the following places:
 
Pinterest / Blog Plus each Sunday in the Sunday Times Style Magazine!





































2 comments:

Thanks for popping by! We love reading what you think, and read every comment. Make sure you leave your link so we can check your blog out if you have one! Or come chat on twitter @oxwonderland